Other college counseling resources include:
- Admissions counselors from various colleges visit our campus throughout the year to meet with interested juniors and seniors in small-group sessions.
- Trips are arranged to college fairs and to some college and university campuses.
- Individual and group meetings are held with parents to familiarize them with the application process and financial aid procedures.
- The college counseling library includes guidebooks, catalogs, videos, and computer programs to help students in their college search.
- Students that qualify for untimed testing are registered and tested on Solebury's campus.
Tim Gallen, email@example.com
Director of College Counseling
President-Elect of the Pennsylvania Association for College Admission Counseling (PACAC)
Solebury School is pleased to partner with Naviance, a comprehensive online college counseling portal. Students and parents can Naviance to make plans about colleges and careers, including requesting all transcripts and recommendations for college applications and keeping track of decisions.
Naviance also allows students to:
- Get involved in the planning and advising process – Build a resume, complete online surveys, and manage timelines and deadlines for making decisions about colleges and careers.
- Research colleges – Compare GPAs, standardized test scores, and other statistics to actual historical data from our school for students who have applied and been admitted to in the past.
- Research careers – Research hundreds of careers and career clusters, and take career assessments.
- Create plans for the future – Create goals and to-dos, and complete tasks assigned by the school to better prepare your student for college and career goals.
Naviance also lets us share information with parents and students about upcoming meetings and events, local scholarship opportunities, and other resources for college and career information.
To get started (and view the college calendar), please log into Naviance...
Written by Tim Gallen, Director of College Counseling
The latest edition of our college counseling newsletter includes information about being "undecided," the NCAA Eligibility Center, upcoming deadlines, college visits and more.
Highlights from the latest edition of our college counseling newsletter include: A) seniors are required to schedule a short meeting with me in the next month; B) we have many colleges visiting Solebury, including several that I asked to come based on senior interest, so sign up for visits; and C) the importance of staying on top of the work and the college application process in senior year.
This issue of De Collegio includes: things seniors should do over the summer (e.g. visiting colleges, starting applications, writing essays); upcoming deadlines; letters of recommendation (must be requested through Naviance); and college visit procedures (sign-ups are through Naviance). Likewise, all transcripts, recommendations, forms and profiles will be sent through Naviance after seniors request them to be sent (through Naviance), and if seniors are using the Common Application, they must link it to Naviance through Naviance's Colleges I'm Applying To page. It's important for seniors to be active on Naviance!
Students can now apply for financial aid in October of their senior year. As such, we have amended our Financial Aid issue of De Collegio and moved it up, to help families understand what the changes are and what benefits and challenges they present. We are also considering hosting our annual Financial Aid Night sooner. This and more are highlighted in the newsletter, which has a certain movie theme.
This issue of De Collegio features information on taking advantage of the summer, the NCAA Eligibility Center (students interested in Division I or II athletics, you must register and let the college counseling office know!), the new Coalition application, standardized testing, and very important information about students' social media presence.
This issue of De Collegio highlights different aspects of our college guidance course, including: standardized tests, college searches, filling out applications, college visits, interviews, essays, recommendations, what colleges consider when making a decision, and more. Also included is information about Naviance and our upcoming College Fair.