Beginning junior year, Director of College Counseling Tim Gallen meets individually with all students to guide them through the college search and application process. Juniors also participate in multiple workshops. Using Solebury's College Counseling Handbook as a reference, students learn about writing essays, interviewing, applying for financial aid, researching college programs, applying for early decision, using the web and email effectively, etc. By the end of junior year, students will have created a list of colleges to consider visiting, and potentially apply to, during senior year. Tim assists all students right up until a final decision is made among various college acceptances.
Other college counseling resources include:
- Admissions counselors from various colleges visit our campus throughout the year to meet with interested juniors and seniors in small-group sessions.
- Trips are arranged to college fairs and to some college and university campuses.
- Individual and group meetings are held with parents to familiarize them with the application process and financial aid procedures.
- The college counseling library includes guidebooks, catalogs, videos, and computer programs to help students in their college search.
- Students that qualify for untimed testing are registered and tested on Solebury's campus.