Beginning in the junior year and continuing through the senior year, Solebury's college counselors meet individually with each student to guide them through the college search and application process. In the winter and spring trimesters, juniors participate in a series of workshops which provide an in-depth introduction to all aspects of the college process. Using Solebury's College Counseling Handbook as a reference, students learn about writing essays, interviewing, applying for financial aid, researching college programs, applying for early decision, using the internet and e-mail effectively, etc. One of the major goals of these workshops is for each student to create a list of colleges that they are interested in visiting and possibly applying to in their senior year. The assistance of the college counselor continues through the senior year right up to when a final decision is made among various college acceptances.
Other college counseling resources include the following:
- Admissions counselors from many colleges visit our campus throughout the year to meet with interested juniors and seniors in small group sessions.
- Trips are arranged to college fairs and to some college and university campuses.
- Individual and group meetings are held with parents to familiarize them with the application process and financial aid procedures.
- The college counseling library includes guidebooks, catalogs, videos, and computer programs to help students in their college search.
- Students that qualify for untimed testing are registered and tested on Solebury's campus.
Tim Gallen, Director of College Counseling