Title: College Counselor
Date Modified: 10/6/2022
FLSA Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Reports To: Director of College Counseling
Solebury School seeks a College Counselor to educate and assist students and their parents through the course selection, college search, application and decision-making process. In addition to assisting students in defining the right college fit and advocating for them with their selected colleges, the College Counselor shares responsibility with the Director of College Counseling for educating parents and advisors, teaching a college seminar, meeting with college admission representatives both on campus and off, and keeping current with trends in college admission.
- Counsel approximately 35-40 seniors each year, guiding them through the college search, application and financial aid process
- Write a college recommendation letter for each counselee
- Work with underclass students to ensure that families and advisors are well informed and well prepared to engage in finding colleges that are good fits for them
- Co-teach a College Seminar for juniors
- Assist with standardized testing (registration, accommodations, administering, transportation, etc.)
- Identify and assist students in selecting appropriate summer enrichment, postgraduate study, gap year programs and work opportunities
- Ensure a mutual understanding and active relationship between Solebury School and Colleges
- Travel to colleges, college fairs, networking events and professional conferences
- Host college representatives visiting Solebury School
- Communicate as needed and as possible with college admission personnel
- Perform other duties as assigned by Head of School and/or Director of College Counseling
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree and three years experience in college admission and/or independent school college counseling
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation, and communication skills
- Deep knowledge of the college application and financial aid processes
- Willingness to travel
- Respect for confidentiality
- Work with a diverse population
- Work occasional nights and weekends
- Five or more years of experience in college admission and/or independent school college counseling
- Experience with scholarship, gap year and/or summer programs
- Experience and ability to work with technology (SCOIR or similar program) and database management
- A lively sense of humor
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Generally works in standard office conditions and climate
- Ability and means to drive a vehicle required
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time
- Work that occasionally includes lifting and carrying objects up to 30 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Solebury School offers competitive wages and comprehensive benefits to all eligible employees, including:
- Medical & Vision Insurance (free option for employees and employee plus children)
- Dental Insurance
- 403 (b) plan
- Paid Time Off and Company Holidays
- Short and Long Term Disability Leave
As part of the terms for employment and in accordance with state law, all employees undergo national, state and local background checks before starting. Employment is also contingent on the ability to establish identity for employment in the United States by providing appropriate documentation to complete the I-9 form and required certifications. All employees must have reliable transportation to and from school.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Staci Freer, Special Projects Manager via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1925, Solebury School has been a leader in progressive education. We are an all-gender boarding and day school serving more than 240 students in grades 9-12.
Solebury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.