Position Title: Custodian
Date Created/Modified: May 27, 2022
FLSA Classification: Hourly, non-exempt, benefit eligible
Reports To: Custodial Manager
Solebury School seeks a qualified Custodian for an immediate opening. This is an hourly, non-exempt, benefit eligible, full-time position. A qualified candidate will have demonstrated interior and exterior custodial experience, as well as experience supporting school facilities operations.
- Assists all custodial team functions including floor care, maintaining inventory of supplies, and general cleaning including, but not limited to: Inside and outside of all buildings per the cleaning schedule and as requested, dusting, trash removal, floor maintenance, and other cleaning duties as assigned
- Worksite cleanup and restoration activities, i.e. picking up litter, disposing of waste and debris, cleaning surfaces
- Performs regular preventive maintenance and cleaning of equipment used; makes repairs within the scope of abilities
- Communicate clearly to custodial manager, especially regarding any supplies needed
- Responds to and takes appropriate actions in event of emergency or incidents to resolve, confine or prevent potentially injurious or hazardous conditions
- Grounds maintenance activities, i.e. cutting, mowing, weeding, edging, blowing, planting foliage, shoveling snow, operating various electric, gas and manually powered tools and equipment, i.e. floor machines, vacuums, mowers, blowers, weed-eaters, hedge trimmers, snow blowers, etc.
- Support school functions and provide room setups and takedowns
- Coordinate several projects simultaneously and set priorities, as well as being flexible
- Performs various additional tasks as requested by the Custodial Manager or Director of Facilities
- Experience and aptitude with modern janitorial methods and floor care
- Positive attitude and interpersonal skills; willingness to work as a team member
- Experience and aptitude with computer programs; a willingness to learn and increase capabilities with the school’s facilities management software and the ability to use basic productivity software (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Power Point)
- Lives in close proximity to New Hope, Pennsylvania to be able to provide sufficient response during inclement weather (including snow removal)
- Knowledge of:
- Methods used floor care
- Organized work control
- Maintenance and repair general cleaning equipment
- Safety practices and procedures, including OSHA requirements
- Strong team skills, willingness to work with the entire facilities team
- Basic math to include measuring distance and calculating quantities
- Communicate effectively in clear English both oral and written form
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- The ability to exert significant physical effort in heavy work, including climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials weighing 20 to 50 pounds; may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials weighing up to 100 pounds
- Willingness to work outside in inclement weather
- Tasks are regularly performed with potential exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as strong odors, fumes, dusts, wetness, humidity, machinery, vibrations, temperature and noise extremes, disease, pathogenic substances and toxic/poisonous agents
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass a school driver’s test
- Submission to full battery of background testing per PA state law
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Solebury School offers competitive wages and comprehensive benefits to all eligible employees, including:
- Medical & Vision Insurance (free option for employees and employee plus children)
- Dental Insurance
- 403 (b) plan
- Paid Time Off and Company Holidays
- Short and Long Term Disability Leave
As part of the terms for employment and in accordance with state law, all employees undergo national, state and local background checks before starting. Employment is also contingent on the ability to establish identity for employment in the United States by providing appropriate documentation to complete the I-9 form and required certifications. All employees must have reliable transportation to and from school.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Staci Freer via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1925, Solebury School has been a leader in progressive education. We are an all-gender boarding and day school serving more than 240 students in grades 9-12.
Solebury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.