Title: Electrician/General Maintenance Worker
Date Created/Modified: January 25, 2021
FLSA Classification: Non Exempt,
Reports To: Director of Facilities
Solebury School seeks an experienced General Maintenance Worker with demonstrated experience in Electrical/HVAC to serve in a full-time, twelve-month position within the Maintenance Department. Qualified candidates will be required to perform a wide variety of maintenance tasks as requested to support school operations and facilities, as well as share on call responsibilities of the department on a rotating basis and assist in emergency weather situations. Pay is hourly and commensurate with experience. Position starts immediately.
- Perform and assist with the maintenance and repairs of buildings and equipment, and other work as requested, whether involving electrical, HVAC, plumbing, structural
- Operate various Electrical test equipment, HVAC testing equipment, electric/gas and manually powered tools and equipment, i.e. saws, sprayers, air compressors, mowers, blowers, weed-eaters, hedge trimmers
- Perform regular preventive maintenance and cleaning of equipment used; makes repairs within the scope of abilities.
- Perform and assist with overall carpentry needs including but not limited to: framing, painting, furniture repair, furniture refinishing, window replacements, general tenant fit outs
- Perform grounds maintenance activities, i.e. mowing, weeding, edging, planting foliage, shoveling snow
- Perform structural maintenance activities, i.e. painting field equipment, repairing fences and gates, preparing athletic fields
- Perform cleanup and worksite restoration activities, i.e. picking up litter, disposing of waste and debris, cleaning surfaces
- Respond to and takes appropriate actions in event of emergency or incidents to resolve, confine or prevent potentially injurious or hazardous conditions.
- Perform various additional tasks as requested by Director of Facilities
- Assist in maintaining van fleet and mowing equipment
- Possess a CFC universal certification
- Demonstrated experience with electrical, electrical code, HVAC, carpentry, mechanical, plumbing tasks, landscaping, machinery use
- A combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates an ability to perform the duties described above
- Lives within 15 miles to school in New Hope, Pennsylvania
- Positive attitude and interpersonal skills with a willingness to work as a team member
- Experience and aptitude with computer programs; a willingness to learn and increase capabilities with the school’s facilities management software (“School Dude”); and the ability to use basic productivity software (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Power Point)
- Ability to operate Building Automation Systems efficiently
- Knowledge of:
- Methods used in building maintenance and repair
- Uniform code books
- Maintenance and repair of hand tools and gas powered equipment.
- Safety practices and procedures relating to the building trades, including OSHA requirements
- HVAC, electrical, plumbing, painting, grounds, and pest management
- Basic math to include measuring distance and calculating quantities
- Ability to:
- Operate a variety of tools and equipment safely including standard vehicles and grounds-keeping equipment
- Operate and manage automated work order system
- Read and interpret specifications and blueprints
- Maintain files and inventory records of supplies
- Coordinate several projects simultaneously and set priorities
- Forecast project problems and make necessary adjustments
- Assist in planning and training
- Provide technical support as necessary
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, teachers, students, and community members
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Respond to the school during emergencies/weather and otherwise
- Provide snow removal services with the entire maintenance team
- Perform basic first aid
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- The ability to exert significant physical effort in heavy work, including climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials weighing 20 to 50 pounds; may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials weighing up to 100 pounds
- Willingness to work outside in inclement weather
- Tasks are regularly performed with potential exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as strong odors, fumes, dusts, wetness, humidity, machinery, vibrations, temperature and noise extremes, disease, pathogenic substances and toxic/poisonous agents
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a driver’s test in school van
- Submission to full battery of background testing per PA state law
- Must maintain reliable transportation with the abilities to get to the school during inclement weather
Please submit resume and cover letter to Jim Wertman, Director of Facilities via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled and interviews will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1925, Solebury School has been a leader in progressive education. We are a coeducational boarding and day school serving more than 225 students in grades 9-12.
Solebury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.