General Maintenance Worker
Position Title: General Maintenance Worker
Date Created/Modified: 8/17/2023
FLSA Classification: Full-time, non-exempt, hourly
Reports To: Director of Facilities
Solebury School seeks to hire immediately a General Maintenance Worker to serve in a full-time, twelve-month position within the Maintenance Department. Qualified candidates will be able to perform a wide variety of maintenance tasks as required to support school operations and facilities and/or be eager for training, as well as share on-call responsibilities of the department on a rotating basis and assist in emergency weather situations. Compensation is hourly and commensurate with experience.
- Perform and assist with the general maintenance and repairs of buildings and equipment
- Perform regular preventive maintenance and cleaning of equipment used; make repairs within the scope of abilities
- Perform and assist with overall/general carpentry needs such as painting, furniture repair, window replacements
- Perform grounds maintenance activities
- Perform structural maintenance activities
- Perform cleanup and worksite restoration activities
- Respond to and takes appropriate actions in event of emergency or incidents to resolve, confine or prevent potentially injurious or hazardous conditions, including snow removal and perform first aid as needed
- Perform various additional tasks as requested by Director of Facilities
- Assist in maintaining van fleet and mowing equipment
- A combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates an ability to perform the duties described above
- Lives within 15 miles of the school (in New Hope, PA)
- Positive attitude and interpersonal skills; willingness to work as a team member
- Experience and aptitude using a computer and mobile technology; a willingness to learn and increase capabilities with the school’s facilities management software (“Asset Essentials”); and the ability to use basic productivity software (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Power Point)
- Ability to:
- Operate a variety of tools and equipment safely including standard vehicles and grounds-keeping equipment
- Operate and manage automated work order system
- Read and interpret specifications and blueprints
- Maintain files and inventory records of supplies
- Forecast project problems and make necessary adjustments
- Provide technical support as necessary
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff, teachers, students, and community members
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written form
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- The ability to exert significant physical effort in heavy work, including climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials weighing 20 to 50 pounds; may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials weighing up to 100 pounds
- Willingness to work outside in inclement weather
- Tasks are regularly performed with potential exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as strong odors, fumes, dusts, wetness, humidity, machinery, vibrations, temperature and noise extremes, disease, pathogenic substances and toxic/poisonous agents
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a driver’s test in school van
- Submission to full battery of background testing per PA state law
- Must have and maintain reliable transportation with the abilities to get to the school during inclement weather
- Be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19, or have a documented medical/religious exemption
Solebury School offers competitive wages and comprehensive benefits to all eligible employees, including:
- Medical & Vision Insurance (free option for employees and employee plus children)
- Dental Insurance
- 403 (b) plan
- Paid Time Off and Company Holidays
- Short and Long Term Disability Leave
As part of the terms for employment and in accordance with state law, all employees undergo national, state and local background checks before starting. Employment is also contingent on the ability to establish identity for employment in the United States by providing appropriate documentation to complete the I-9 form and required certifications. All employees must have reliable transportation to and from school.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Staci Freer, Special Projects Manager via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1925, Solebury School has been a leader in progressive education. We are an all-gender boarding and day school serving more than 255 students in grades 9-12.
Solebury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.