Title: School Counselor
Date Modified: May 16, 2022
FLSA Classification: Exempt, full-time
Reports To: Director of School Counseling
Solebury School seeks to hire a qualified School Counselor as a 10-month, school year employee. This position will be responsible for providing short-term counseling services to students in grades 9-12 at Solebury School, collaborating and consulting with the Director of Counseling, parents/guardians, and faculty regarding student academic and emotional needs as well as providing external referral services to students in need of long-term treatment.
- Offer counseling to all students, including, but not limited to:
- Crisis intervention
- Individual assessment and treatment planning
- Short-term counseling services at an individual and group level
- Referrals to external services and resources
- Child abuse reporting
- Provide counseling services to parents/guardians of Solebury students (face-to-face and by phone) and offer referrals to external therapists and resources as needed
- Collaborate with teachers, administrators, and parents/guardians to develop appropriate and effective plans to meet the individual needs of each student
- Meet with Associate Head of School and Head of School, as well as other individual faculty, on an as-needed basis, to collaborate and consult around student issues both for particular students and the student body as a whole
- Serve on the Child Safety team
- Collaborate and consult with school counselors, therapists and other therapeutic supports outside of Solebury School who are or have worked with the student, as needed
- Lead faculty and community discussions
- Provide opportunities to enhance awareness around topics related to social and emotional well being
- Graduate degree in school counseling, social work, or a related field
- Minimum of 2 years of clinical experience in a school setting
- A deep commitment to all students’ social and emotional growth
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and to establish supportive relationships with all school constituencies
- Ability to maintain composure, confidentiality, tact, sensitivity, and flexibility during peak stress periods and crisis intervention situations
- Experience working with students with learning differences (ADHD, Dyslexia, etc.)
- Multicultural counseling experience with historically marginalized individuals
- Drug/alcohol counseling expertise and experience preferred
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- At times work in a highly stressful environment, dealing with a variety of challenges with a diverse array of contacts
- May work at a desk for extended periods of time
- Works primarily in a traditional, climate-controlled office setting
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Solebury School offers competitive wages and comprehensive benefits to all eligible employees, including:
- Medical & Vision Insurance (free option for employees and employee plus children)
- Dental Insurance
- 403 (b) plan
- Paid Time Off and Company Holidays
- Short and Long Term Disability Leave
As part of the terms for employment and in accordance with state law, all employees undergo national, state and local background checks before starting. Employment is also contingent on the ability to establish identity for employment in the United States by providing appropriate documentation to complete the I-9 form and required certifications. All employees must have reliable transportation to and from school.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Staci Freer, Special Projects Manager via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1925, Solebury School has been a leader in progressive education. We are an all-gender boarding and day school serving more than 240 students in grades 9-12.
Solebury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.